Gift of the Avery-McDonald Collection

May 25, 2017
IG II(2) 1003

The Center would like to announce our receipt of the gift of the Avery-McDonald Collection of squeezes of Greek inscriptions from Attica. Professor John F. Newell, of the Classics Department at the University of Pittsburgh, donated the collection to the Center in honor of his colleague at the University of Pittsburgh, Professor Emeritus Harry C. Avery and his late wife, JoAnn McDonald Avery, who was the daughter of William F. McDonald, a long-time Professor of Ancient History at Ohio State. We'd also like to give a special thanks to Dr. Carrie L. Sulosky Weaver, visiting assistant professor at Pitt, for making this gift possible. These squeezes are a wonderful addition to our collection.